Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Hockey Dinners

The Pittsburgh Penguins play 82 regular season games a year and I watch about 80 a year (the only way you won't find me in front of the TV is if I have a prior engagement or unexpected interruption in my schedule).  Growing up with Pens tickets, I snacked on burgers, fries, and sodas each home game at the old Mellon (Civic) Arena.  During away games, my dad and I would usually order some unhealthy take out, have some chips and salsa, and veg out during the games.

Today, I'm living in New York City and unfortunately can't be there with my mom, dad, sister, or whoever at each home game.  I also can't be relaxing on my couch for some of my mom's cooked meals (I wish).

Tonight, I made a healthy alternative for the typical game day food.

Menu:

Light spinach and artichoke dip
Black bean burgers
Pasta tossed with extra virgin olive oil, basil, and garlic


Spinach and Artichoke Dip

10 oz frozen spinach, thawed
1 Tablespoon olive oil
3/4 cup light mayonnaise
4oz fat free cream cheese
1 teaspoon capers
1 teaspoon hot sauce
1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
1/4 teaspoon mustard
1 can artichokes
3/4 cup shredded mozarella cheese
1/4 grated parmesan cheese
1 tablespoon lemon juice

Dice the artichokes and spinach and mix well with the rest of the ingredients.  Pour into a small casserole dish and bake for about 30 minutes at 350°.  Serve with crackers!



Black Bean Burgers

1 - 16 ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 egg
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon basil
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1 teaspoon hot sauce
1/2 cup breadcrumbs
1/2 green pepper, chopped and minced
1/2 onion, chopped and mince
1/4 teaspoon pepper

Mash black beans with a fork until pasty.  Add in the egg, cumin, basil, and garlic and stir well.  Next, add in the rest of the ingredients and add small amounts of bread crumbs until the ingredients become think and able to mold into round burgers.

Form into four patties and bake on a lightly greased baking sheet for 20 minutes (10 minutes on each side).

Pasta? Should be easy enough...

Tasty and healthy, game day meal!






No comments:

Post a Comment